Industrial Applied Science Core Competencies
The Industrial Applied Sciences Core Competencies certificate of achievement is designed to prepare students for employment in the Chemical Technology, Process Technology and Biotechnology Industries. By fulfilling the program requirements, students completing this certificate would have a basic understanding of chemistry and biology and their role in industry, as well as Industrial Safety and Regulatory Concerns. Building upon this certificate, students have the option of continuing their coursework to complete a certificate or Associates Degree in Chemical Technology, Process Technology or Biotechnology (Biomanufacturing).
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Upon completion of the Degree program, students are able to:
- Students will be able to identify and describe industrial hazards, including hazards in the chemical, biomanufacturing and process industries.
- Students will be able to follow and describe cGLP and cGMP requirements.
- Students will be able to identify the main areas affected by the validation process in the biomanufacturing industry and validation regulations that will require internal and external auditing.
- Students will be able to demonstrate mastery of appropriate industrial protocols and documentation.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to calculate solution concentrations, identify chemical compounds, perform unit conversions, apply basic chemistry concepts to solve problems using the scientific method and maintain proper documentation of work activities through the keeping of a lab notebook.
- Students will be able to apply the scientific method to understanding biological principles.
- Students will be able to describe basic principles of human biology, such as biochemistry and the cell.
- Students will be able to describe the different types of bacteria, their staining methods and how they cause disease.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the purpose, fundamentals and regulations of biomanufacturing.
|Award Title||Award Type||Required Course Units||Total Major Units||GE Units|
|Industrial Applied Sciences: Core Competencies||C||-||20||-|