About Our Programs
Cosmetology is the study and practice of professional care of the hair, skin and nails. The LATTC Cosmetology program offers training in hair styling and cutting; chemical treatments, including hair coloring and lightening, permanent waving, hair straightening, hair cutting with clippers, razor, shears; skin care, and nail care. The Cosmetology occupation is governed by stringent state laws which stipulate that all who enter the field must complete 1600 hours of instruction. The LATTC Cosmetology program is carefully designed to prepare students to pass the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology examination.
Upon completion of the Degree/Certificate program, students are able to:
- Perform, practice, and demonstrate all areas of cosmetology skills observing the safety and sanitation rules set forth by the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
- Be prepared to take the written and practical California Board of
- Barbering and Cosmetology Licensure Examination.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to build and maintain an ongoing clientele in the Barbering environment and industry.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cosmetology industry requirements regarding good work ethic, resumes and employment guidelines, track and maintain business transactions.
*Please note regarding transfer hours: We accept up to 300 hours from another college credited cosmetology program (i.e. community colleges or non-private institutions). Student from a private institution may not transfer hours into Los Angeles Trade Technical College. All students transferring will start the at the Freshman level in the LATTC Cosmetology program.
**Please be advised that ALL classes after Cosmetology 111 require a prerequisite. If you have NOT taken 111 you cannot enroll in 112. If you have not taken 112 you cannot enroll in 121 or 131. The classes are to be taken in the order stated below, except with the choice to take either 121 OR 131 after taking 112. In retrospect, you can either take 121 OR 131 after finishing 111 AND 112.