Current Student

This website uses cookies
We use cookies to personalize content, providing better support to each student. We do not share information about your use of our site with any advertising companies. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this feature. About Cookies

Not a Student
Clear/Deselect All Checkboxes

My Profile

Not a Student

My Pathway

Select the Current Student button above to unlock the pathway

Enrollment & Special Cases

Home > Services > Counseling Services & Support > GAIN/CalWORKS > FAQs


What is CalWORKs?

CalWORKs, is California’s Welfare Reform Program replacing AFDC (Assistance to Families with dependent Children). It stems from the Federal Initiative call WORKs (Work Opportunities and Responsibility to Kids), and of the prefix “Cal” is for California.


How do I know if I qualify for CalWORKs?

If you are receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) , you qualify for CalWORKs.


What is GAIN? How is it connected to CalWORKs?

GAIN, Greater Avenues to Independence, is Los Angeles County’s vehicle for delivering the CalWORKs Program. GAIN has guidelines that one must follow in order to be in compliance with Welfare-to-Work (WtW) laws. GAIN literally moves individuals from Welfare-to-Work through educational upgrades, job training, and career preparation while offering supportive services that include childcare.


What is a GAIN Vocational Student?

A GAIN Voc participant is one who has been called into GAIN to get involved in a GAIN activity beginning with Job Club, Job Assessment and possible Training, respectively. Before any of these activities take place the participant must first sign a welfare-to-work plan.


Can I attend Trade-Tech at any time during the year?

Yes, providing you have seen a GAIN Service Worker and have signed a welfare-to-work plan. Contact the County DPSS GAIN Regional Office near you.


Can a CalWORKs participant get financial aid?

TANF recipients at LATTC are referred to the Campus Financial Aid Office to acquire a fee waiver for college registration. They may also qualify for other financial aid. Ask the Financial Aid counselor or associate for assistance with other financial aid matters.


What is “SIP”?

A “SIP” is a Self-Initiated Participant. This is a student who started their education program before the county called them in to sign a welfare-to-work agreement.


What is myresponsibility as a student receiving help through the GAIN/CalWORKs Office?

  • Provide all required documentation
  • Sign the LATTC GAIN/CalWORKs agreement
  • Commit to passing your courses
  • Attend labs and workshops to improve your skills.
  • Keep all appointments and attend all classes and meetings
  • Inform us of any changes in your CalWORKs status, address, phone number, GAIN worker
  • Check with us before changing your academic program or adding/dropping classes
  • Meet at least once a semester for program planning and progress check toward your educational goal

am worried about studying in a college. How can I get help with my schoolwork?

Most students will have one or more on-campus placement tests. These will help us place you in the level of class that will be most comfortable and useful to you. There are many places on campus to get tutoring, such as the Learning Skills Center and Math, English, Writing and Language labs. LATTC provides study skills and subject skills classes. All of this help is free.


What if my time clock runs out?

Presently you have 24 months to receive CalWORKs services which will change in the near future. Check with the DPSS GAIN Office to find out what support services you may still qualify.


Where is the GAIN/CalWORKs Office located on the LATTC Campus?

The GAIN/CalWORKs office is located in the (Juniper Hall) Student Services building in ST-403


Can I return to school if I drop out?

Yes, if you still have time remaining on your 60 month time clock and you are in good standing with the County DPSS GAIN. Call the Regional GAIN Office for more information.

Social Media Directory 
  • LATTC Official on Facebook
  • LATTC Official on Twitter
  • LATTC Official on Instagram
  • LATTC Official on LinkedIn
  • LATTC Official on Snapchat
  • LATTC Official on YouTube
  • LATTC Official RSS Feed

Links to More Important LATTC Info

Are You a High School Counselor?

Visit our Outreach & Recruitment page to setup a campus tour or get more information for your students to share on your campus. We can also schedule a time to visit your campus. Click the button below for more information or email

Outreach & Recruitment

Do You Have a Story To Share?

Visit our Public Relations page to get in touch with us. Our team will either reach out to you to for information or you can share it using the Public Relations Form. You can also call the office line at 213-763-7063 or email

Public Relations Office

Visitor Buttons

Safety and More General Info

Getting to LATTC and Contacting Us


Los Angeles Trade Technical College
400 West Washington Blvd, Los Angeles 90015
Phone (213) 763-7000 - Fax (213) 763-5393

Student Success Scorecard


Campus Map
Getting Here
Phone Directory
Social Media Directory

Whistleblower Hotline

Protect the integrity of the Los Angeles Community College District by reporting improper activity today to the Whistleblower Hotline at 1-800-851-3699 or see the
Whistleblower Info PDF
Whistleblower Website for BuildLACCD Projects

Copyright © 2022 LATTC. All Rights Reserved.