> Counseling Services & Support
> Dream Resource Center
AB 540- Nonresident Tuition Exemptions
AB540/SB68 exempts students (including undocumented students) who meet eligibility requirements from out-of-state tuition fees.
Benefits: Qualifying for AB 540/SB 68 provides students with the ability to pay resident fees and apply for the state-based financial aid through the CA Dream Act, if eligible. AB 540/SB 68 also allows eligible students to participate in EOP&S and EOP.
Students must meet the requirements for Part One & Part Two
Time and Coursework Requirements (either A or B):
- Attendance for three full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
- California high school
- California adult school (including non-credit courses offered by a California community college) *
- California community college (maximum of two years of credit courses can count toward this requirement)’
- Three years of California high school credits, along with three years of total attendance at a California elementary school, California secondary school, or any combination of the three.
Degree or Unit Requirements (completion of any of the following):
- Graduation from a California high school or the equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC, CHSPE)
- Attainment of an Associate degree from a California Community College
- Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements from a California Community College to a UC or CSU campus
When to Submit
Submitting the Affidavit - Students must also complete and submit the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB 540/SB 68 Affidavit) in order to qualify for in-state tuition, along with official transcripts and/or attendance records.AB 540 Affidavit Application-Fillable
Be sure to complete and submit an AB540 Nonresident Exemption Request from Dream Resource Center (Fill-able file below).
Non -Resident Waiver
Students who are citizens and residents of a foreign country, and who are legally precluded from establishing residency in California shall be entitled to exemptions from non-resident fees on the basis on individual financial need in accordance with regulations adopted by the Chancellor. Such individual exemptions shall not be granted in excess of ten percent (10%) of the district’s students who are both citizens and residents of a foreign country in the applicable term.
- Foreign Citizen (not a US Citizen)
- Are legally prohibited from establishing residency in CA
- Meet the financial assistance requirement
- Are enrolled in at least one (1) unit
Be sure to complete and submit a Nonresident Tuition Waiver from Dream Resource Center (Fill-able file below).Nonresident Tuition Fee Waiver
Residency Tuition exemptions are offered for students who meet certain criteria through the AB540 Nonresident Tuition Exemption or Non-Resident Tuition Waiver. If granted an exemption, students will be charged in-state tuition and fees.