AB 540 - Nonresident Tuition Exemptions
AB540/SB68 exempts students (including undocumented students) who meet eligibility requirements from out-of-state tuition fees.
Benefits: Qualifying for AB 540/SB 68 provides students with the ability to pay resident fees and apply for the state-based financial aid through the CA Dream Act, if eligible. AB 540/SB 68 also allows eligible students to participate in EOP&S and EOP.
Students must meet the requirements for Part One & Part Two
Time and Coursework Requirements (either A or B):
- Attendance for three full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
- California high school
- California adult school (including non-credit courses offered by a California community college) *
- California community college (maximum of two years of credit courses can count toward this requirement)’
- Three years of California high school credits, along with three years of total attendance at a California elementary school, California secondary school, or any combination of the three.
Degree or Unit Requirements (completion of any of the following):
- Graduation from a California high school or the equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC, CHSPE)
- Attainment of an Associate degree from a California Community College
- Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements from a California Community College to a UC or CSU campus
When to Submit
Submitting the Affidavit - Students must also complete and submit the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB 540/SB 68 Affidavit) in order to qualify for in-state tuition, along with official transcripts and/or attendance records.
Be sure to complete and submit an AB540 Nonresident Exemption Request from Dream Resource Center (Fill-able file below).