The Associate in Science for Transfer in Mathematics prepares a student for transfer into the CSU system for further study in pure or applied mathematics. Earning a 4-year degree in mathematics prepares students for careers in which mathematical skills are in great demand, such as science, technology, engineering, computer science, business, industry, medicine, education or government. The goal of this degree is to provide a clear pathway for transfer students applying to the California State University (CSU). Completion of the Associate in Science in Mathematics for Transfer (AST) ensures transfer students will complete the lower division general education requirements as well as the articulated lower division major requirements for the bachelor’s degree in Mathematics prior to transferring.
The Associate in Science in Mathematics for Transfer (AS-T) degree will be awarded upon completion of the following.
- Completion of 60 transferable semester units to the California State University
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all transferable coursework.
- Full completion of one the following General education patterns
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), with “C”s or better in all coursework AND completion of Area 1C Oral communication (CSU admission requirement)
- California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements (CSU GE). Areas A1, A2, A3, & B4 must be completed with a grade of “C” or better (CSU admission requirement)
- A minimum of 23 semester units required for the major
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “Pass-No Pass” basis (Title 5 § 55063).