> Counseling Services & Support
> Veterans Resource Center
> How to File for Education Benefits
How to File for Education Benefits
Requirements for Filing
Applicants must be admitted and enrolled at LATTC.
All forms for first-time applicants, continuing students, and transfer students can be obtained online at Explore.VA.gov.
Students who wish to receive educational assistance must complete an Application for Semester Entitlement (ASE) form each semester. The Veterans' Student Center will not certify students without a recent request on file.
Processing applications takes the Veterans Administration approximately 6 to 8 weeks. This means, after your paperwork has been submitted from the LATTC Students' Center to the Veterans Administration, you can expect a check for the current enrollment to arrive at the location designated in the address section of the ASE form 6 to 8 weeks later. Thereafter, checks will arrive at the beginning of each month for the previous month. Questions concerning payment after you have been certified should be directed to the Veterans Administration at 1-800-827-1000.
First Time Applicants Required Forms For Filing
All Applications are located online using VONAPP (Veterans Online Application). Please retain a copy for your LATTC file.
Required Forms For Filing
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990) - For new applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607. (eligible veterans).
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-5490) - For new applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans).
- VA APPLICATION FORM (VA 22-1990E) - For transfer of entitlement under VA program: Chapter 33 (eligible dependents of veterans).
Once registered, first time applicants must submit the following:
- Completed ASE form (each semester)
- Copy of the online application
- Found on the VA website
- For inquiries, please call 1-888-GIBILL-1
- Copy of the certificate of eligibility
- This will come in response to the application from the VA.
- Copy of a valid photo identification
Required Forms For Continuing Students
Each semester, continuing students must complete the Application for Semester Entitlement. The Veteran Affairs Office certifies enrollment for past semesters, up to one year. Certification for future semesters is not available.
Adding or Changing Major/Degree Objective
If you are new to LATTC and have received VA educational benefits at another school, you must complete and sign the appropriate form below and return it to the LATTC Students' Center.
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-1995) For applicants under VA programs: Chapter 30, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607. (eligible veterans)
- VA REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (VA 22-5495) For applicants under VA program: Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of veterans)
Send questions or comments to Kookie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org