Current Student

This website uses cookies
We use cookies to personalize content, providing better support to each student. We do not share information about your use of our site with any advertising companies. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this feature. About Cookies

Not a Student
Clear/Deselect All Checkboxes

My Profile

Not a Student

My Pathway

Select the Current Student button above to unlock the pathway

Enrollment & Special Cases

Home > Services > Counseling Services & Support > Veterans Resource Center > FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Can a veteran apply for financial aid?

If you are an active duty member of the United States military, a veteran, or a spouse or child of a service member or veteran, there are many ways you can receive financial aid to complete your educational goals.
Your first step is to apply for the FAFSA to qualify for federal, state, and local aid. Along with this financial aid, you have access to veteran education benefits. Go to to check your eligibility status and sign up for your unique benefits.

How can I check on the status of my pending claim? Can I check status online? 

You can use the eBenefits portal to check the status of your claim online if you are an eBenefits Premium (Level 2) account holder. To determine the status of your pending claim, login to your eBenefits account and select My eBenefits. On the "Compensation" tab, select Compensation & Pension Claims Status to view your claim status. You can also call 1-800-827-1000 and follow the recorded instructions, or you can contact VA and fill out the Ask A Question form. If you are not an eBenefits account holder, you can visit the eBenefits Registration page at for information on how to establish an account.

How long will it take to receive a decision on my compensation claim? 

The length of time it takes to receive a decision depends on several factors, such as the complexity of your disability(ies), the number of disabilities you claim, and the availability of evidence needed to decide your claim. Currently most claims are being processed within six months, but can take longer in complex claims.

How much does VA pay in compensation?

Monthly tax-free benefits vary depending on the type of disability and percent of disability rating.   For 30% or more disability, an additional amount is added for each dependent. Additional amounts are also paid for severe disabilities such as the loss of use of a limb or an organ. For current information about disability compensation payment rates, please go to: | Rates #BM01

What benefits and services are available for spouses and dependents of deceased veterans?

The Veterans Benefits Administration has created a "survivors" Web site for spouses and dependents of military personnel who died on active duty and for the survivors and dependents of veterans who died after leaving the military. The Web site is organized into two broad categories - death in service and death after service. It provides website visitors with information about a wide range of benefits for the surviving spouse, dependent children, and dependent parents of deceased veterans and active-duty personnel. The site also has information from and provides links to other federal agencies and organizations that offer benefits and services to survivors and dependents. The Web site can be reached by clicking on the Benefits link on the VA home page and then the Survivor benefit link that appears in the dropdown box, or by going to:

Does VA provide legal services?

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not provide legal services and cannot provide advice about obtaining legal services.
Bob Hope - Patriotic Hall – 1816 S. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA | Bob Hope Patriotic Hall
Provides information for legal services, housing, health care, employment and benefits.
Social Media Directory 
  • LATTC Official on Facebook
  • LATTC Official on Twitter
  • LATTC Official on Instagram
  • LATTC Official on Snapchat
  • LATTC Official on YouTube
  • LATTC Official RSS Feed

Links to More Important LATTC Info

Are You a High School Counselor?

Visit our Outreach & Recruitment page to setup a campus tour or get more information for your students to share on your campus. We can also schedule a time to visit your campus. Click the button below for more information or call us at 213-763-5341 or email

Outreach & Recruitment

Do You Have a Story To Share?

Visit our Public Relations page to get in touch with us. Our team will either reach out to you to for information or you can share it using the Public Relations Form. You can also call the office line at 213-763-7063 or email

Public Relations Office

Visitor Buttons

Safety and More General Info

Getting to LATTC and Contacting Us


Los Angeles Trade Technical College
400 West Washington Blvd, Los Angeles 90015
Phone (213) 763-7000 - Fax (213) 763-5393


Campus Map
Getting Here
Phone Directory
Social Media Directory

Whistleblower Hotline

Protect the integrity of the Los Angeles Community College District by reporting improper activity today to the Whistleblower Hotline at 1-800-851-3699 or see the
Whistleblower Info PDF
Whistleblower Website for BuildLACCD Projects

Copyright © 2020 LATTC. All Rights Reserved.