Current Student

This website uses cookies
We use cookies to personalize content, providing better support to each student. We do not share information about your use of our site with any advertising companies. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this feature. About Cookies

Not a Student
Clear/Deselect All Checkboxes

My Profile

Not a Student

My Pathway

Select the Current Student button above to unlock the pathway

Enrollment & Special Cases

Home > Services > Financial Aid > Financial Aid Programs

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Back to Financial Aid Programs

What is a Federal Work-Study job?

The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time jobs for financial aid eligible students allowing them to earn money to help pay for their education expenses.  If you’re offered FWS as part of your financial aid package, your college will help you find a part-time job on or off campus. If possible, you’ll be placed in work related to your studies or career plans, or in community service.

What are the eligibility requirements for FWS?

Federal Work Study funds, like FSEOG funds are limited, so you cannot be guaranteed a FWS job.  Since we can only award a certain number of students, students are awarded for FWS on a first come first serve basis.

Federal Work Study students must maintain six (6) active financial aid units throughout the entire employment period and they must meet all the requirements for financial aid including the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.

The award amounts will be based on the student remaining unmet need after all the grant awards. The maximum FWS award varies per academic year. You must complete the hiring packet, and orientation.

How much will I make?

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount might be higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work Study award depends on when you apply your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

How can I apply for FWS?

To be considered for FWS, you must apply for financial aid early.  We recommend that you apply for your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before March 2nd and complete your financial aid application process before May 1st every year.  On your application, as well as your college form, you must indicate that you are interested in working a part-time job as a FWS student worker.  If you are awarded for FWS, you must follow the instruction on your award letter and schedule an appointment to meet your FWS Coordinator for an assignment.

How will I be paid?

Federal Work study students are paid by the hour and checks are mailed to you every two weeks. Electronic fund transfer is available if you want your paychecks to be deposited directly into a checking or savings account.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

If you work on campus, you’ll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency and the work performed must be in the public interest.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your employer or the Federal Work Study Coordinator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.
Social Media Directory 
  • LATTC Official on Facebook
  • LATTC Official on Twitter
  • LATTC Official on Instagram
  • LATTC Official on LinkedIn
  • LATTC Official on Snapchat
  • LATTC Official on YouTube
  • LATTC Official RSS Feed

Links to More Important LATTC Info

Are You a High School Counselor?

Visit our Outreach & Recruitment page to setup a campus tour or get more information for your students to share on your campus. We can also schedule a time to visit your campus. Click the button below for more information or email

Outreach & Recruitment

Do You Have a Story To Share?

Visit our Public Relations page to get in touch with us. Our team will either reach out to you to for information or you can share it using the Public Relations Form. You can also call the office line at 213-763-7063 or email

Public Relations Office

Visitor Buttons

Safety and More General Info

Getting to LATTC and Contacting Us


Los Angeles Trade Technical College
400 West Washington Blvd, Los Angeles 90015
Phone (213) 763-7000 - Fax (213) 763-5393

Student Success Scorecard


Campus Map
Getting Here
Phone Directory
Social Media Directory

Whistleblower Hotline

Protect the integrity of the Los Angeles Community College District by reporting improper activity today to the Whistleblower Hotline at 1-800-851-3699 or see the
Whistleblower Info PDF
Whistleblower Website for BuildLACCD Projects

Copyright © 2022 LATTC. All Rights Reserved.