Current Student

This website uses cookies
We use cookies to personalize content, providing better support to each student. We do not share information about your use of our site with any advertising companies. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use this feature. About Cookies

Not a Student
Clear/Deselect All Checkboxes

My Profile

Not a Student

My Pathway

Select the Current Student button above to unlock the pathway

Enrollment & Special Cases

Home > Services > Financial Aid > Financial Aid Programs

California State Grants

Back to Financial Aid Programs

What is a Cal Grant?

Students must meet the general eligibility requirements and have the following criteria for the Cal Grant Programs:

  • Be a California resident or be classified as an AB 540 student by your college’s Admissions & Records Office
  • Be attending at least half-time at a qualifying California college
  • Have not already earned a bachelor’s or professional degree, or the equivalent
  • Meet income and asset ceilings as established by CSAC

Deadline Dates

First deadline March 2nd for entitlement grants.

A second deadline for community college applicants is September 2nd, but we highly recommend that applicants meet the March 2nd deadline when more funding is available.

Students must submit a GPA Verification and FAFSA (or California Dream Act Application for AB 540 students) by the applicable deadlines to the California Student Aid Commission. 

Note: GPA verification for students enrolled within the Los Angeles Community College District will be electronically sent to the Commission by the deadline date for those who meet specific criteria.

Contact Financial Aid Office if you have questions regarding your eligibility to have your GPA electronically sent and for other possible options.

California Dream Act

What is the California Dream Act?


Cal Grants Available

Entitlement Grants

  • Cal Grant A – Provides grant funds to help pay for tuition/fees at qualifying institutions offering baccalaureate degree programs.  If you received a Cal Grant A but choose to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to three years until you transfer to a four year college.
  • Cal Grant B – Provides subsistence payments for new recipients in the amount of $1,648* for a full-time, full year award (*2021-2022 award year amount).
    • Payments are reduced accordingly for three-quarter and half-time enrollment for each payment period.
    • Cal Grant B recipients who transfer to a tuition/fee-charging school after completing one or two years at a community college may have their grant increased to include tuition and fees as well as subsistence.
  • Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award – This award is for eligible CA Community College students who are transferring to a four-year college and are under the age of 28 as of December 31st of the award year.

Competitive Grants

  • Cal Grant A and B competitive awards are used for the same purpose as the entitlement awards, except that they are not guaranteed and the number of awards is limited.
  • Cal Grant C recipients are selected based on financial need and vocational aptitude. Students must be enrolled in a vocational program at a California Community College, private college, or career technical school in a course of study lasting from four months to two years. The 2021-2022 Cal Grant C maximum award amount was $1,094.

Student with Dependent Children (SWD)

The SWD is a grant for students who have dependent children under the age of 18 by July 1, 2021 for whom they provide more than half of their support during the academic year. The award is worth up to $6,000 for Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for eligible Cal Grant C recipients. (Amounts are for academic year 2021-2022)


Foster Youth Access Award (FYA)

The FYA is for current and former foster youth student in California whose dependency was established or continued by the court on or after the youth’s 16th birthday and who is no older than 25 years of age a the commencement of the academic year.  The award is up to $6,000 for qualifying Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for qualifying Cal Grant C recipients. (Amounts are for academic year 2021-2022)


Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The SSCG is a supplemental grant with the purpose of providing students with additional financial aid to help offset the total cost of community college and to encourage full-time attendance and successful on-time completion.  Students must be receiving a Cal Grant B or C and is enrolled at least full-time per term.  A maximum of $1,298 annual at $649 per term for eligible students who enroll and attend 12 through 14.99 units per term.  A maximum of $4,000 annually at $2,000 per term for eligible students who enroll and attend 15 units per term.  


Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant (LEPD)

Student eligibility:

  • Be a child (natural or adopted) or spouse, at the time of death or injury of a California peace officer or law enforcement officer; firefighter; or officer or employee of the Department of Corrections or the Department of Youth Authority.
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of six units at a California post secondary institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
  • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office at the institution in which the student is enrolled.

The grant will be in an amount equal to the amount provided to a student who has been awarded a Cal Grant.  Awards may be used for tuition and fees, books, supplies, and living expenses.

For more information and to obtain an application:

  • Go to, Commission Programs or email
  • Call the California Student Aid Commission’s Specialized Program Branch at (888) 224-7268, option #3, or
  • Submit a request in writing to:

California Student Aid Commission Specialized Programs P.O. Box 419029 Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029


Child Development Grant Program

Child Development Grant Program is for students who plan to teach or supervise at a licensed children's center.

Selected grant recipients attending a two year post-secondary institution are eligible to receive up to $1,000 per academic year. The grant is renewable for an additional year and is awarded to students attending a public or private two or four year college in California. To learn more about this program and to apply online, visit the California Student Aid Commission website at, or call (888) 224-7268, option #3.


Chafee Grant

What is a Chafee Grant?

The California Chafee Grant is a federal grant administered by the California Student Aid Commission.  It provides assistance to current or former foster youth to use for college courses or vocational school training.  Eligible students may receive up to $5,000 per academic year.

To learn more about this program and to apply online, visit the Commission website at,  or call (888) 224-7268,  or email your questions to with “Attn:  Chafee” in the subject line, or write the commission or mail your application to:

California Student Aid Commission Specialized Programs Operations Branch Attn:  California Chafee Grant Program P.O. Box 419029 Rancho, Cordova, CA  95741-9029 FAX: (916) 526-7977


California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP)

The CNG EAAP is a program for active members in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia designed to provide an educational incentive to improve skills, competencies, and abilities. To qualify, you must:
  • Be an active member who has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;
  • Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program;
  • Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess;
  • Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution;
  • Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;
  • Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA); and
  • Be a resident of California for at least one year.
For more information go to:
Social Media Directory 
  • LATTC Official on Facebook
  • LATTC Official on Twitter
  • LATTC Official on Instagram
  • LATTC Official on LinkedIn
  • LATTC Official on Snapchat
  • LATTC Official on YouTube
  • LATTC Official RSS Feed

Links to More Important LATTC Info

Are You a High School Counselor?

Visit our Outreach & Recruitment page to setup a campus tour or get more information for your students to share on your campus. We can also schedule a time to visit your campus. Click the button below for more information or email

Outreach & Recruitment

Do You Have a Story To Share?

Visit our Public Relations page to get in touch with us. Our team will either reach out to you to for information or you can share it using the Public Relations Form. You can also call the office line at 213-763-7063 or email

Public Relations Office

Visitor Buttons

Safety and More General Info

Getting to LATTC and Contacting Us


Los Angeles Trade Technical College
400 West Washington Blvd, Los Angeles 90015
Phone (213) 763-7000 - Fax (213) 763-5393

Student Success Scorecard


Campus Map
Getting Here
Phone Directory
Social Media Directory

Whistleblower Hotline

Protect the integrity of the Los Angeles Community College District by reporting improper activity today to the Whistleblower Hotline at 1-800-851-3699 or see the
Whistleblower Info PDF
Whistleblower Website for BuildLACCD Projects

Copyright © 2022 LATTC. All Rights Reserved.