R-Building Entrance
Apply Online
Register for Classes

Petitions are processed differently depending on the type of petition you file. They can take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to process.

ATTENTION: Due to a change in district policy, you can now take a class three times by default. You only need to petition for Course Repetition if it will be your FOURTH time taking the course.

Academic Petitions

   Academic Petitions are available in the Counseling Office, and require a counselor's signature before they can be processed.  These petitions are used for:

  • Course Repetition - is for special permission to repeat a class, for which you have received substandard grades, for a fourth time
  • Substitute Credit - is used when you wish to substitute a class taken at LATTC or another college (foreign or domestic) for graduation credit.
  • Override of Unit Limit - is for special permission to register for more units than the current semester/session limit. The limits are: 18.5 for Semesters, 12 for Summer, 7 for Winter.
  • Catalog Rights - is to request the use of the current catalog to meet graduation requirements

Administrative Petitions

   Administrative Petitions are available in the Office of Admissions and Records.  Counselor recommendations are optional on these petitions.  Uses for this petition include:

  • Academic Renewal - is a request to have substandard grades removed from your record.  The class you want removed must have been completed at least 2 years prior, and you must have completed 15 semester units with a 2.5 GPA or 30 units with a 2.0 GPA, since completing the class.
  • Reinstatement - is a request to be allowed to attend LATTC after having been dismissed from a LACCD college. This request can only be approved by the Disqualification Committee, which only meets once every semester, check the LATTC schedule of classes for the next meeting date.
  • Other Purposes - is for special requests such as, but not limited to, a request for a new ID number, information changes, or record merges.

Grade Change Petitions

   A grade change petition can be submitted if you feel an error has been made on your record.  These petitions must be approved by the instructor of the course specified, and must be submitted within one year after the grade is assigned